The Dubai Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) has invested over USD30 billion on roads and transportation infrastructure since its establishment in 2005. Dubai and the UAE’s highways have consistent been rated the best in the world, according to the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Report.
Some of the most notable projects carried out in Dubai by RTA include:
- Improvement of Garhoud Bridge from 3 lanes per direction to 7 lanes towards North and 6 lanes towards South approach, with a clearance of 16m from water body to enable marine transportation.
- Construction of Floating Bridge which has movable sections for watercraft passage which was constructed in 2007 as an additional connection between Deira and Bur
- Constructing Dubai Water Canal which is an artificial canal inaugurated on 2016. It is a three-kilometer long project connecting Business Bay Canal into the Arabian Gulf.
- Expo 2020; road facilities leading to the main expo site will consist of eight interchanges with 80 bridges which will serve 250,000 visitors/day.
- Constructing the 52 Km long metro red line, which was inaugurated on 09.09.2009 with 29 stations. Constructing the 23 Km long metro green line, which was inaugurated on 09.09.2011 with 20 stations